Thursday, October 28, 2010

Are We The Ones We've Been Waiting For?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/wed-october-27-2010-barack-obama

As you all know, I'm sure, President Obama was on The Daily Show last night. The Dead Guy and I were going to try to liveblog during the broadcast, but it didn't really work out that way. Partly because of technological issues and party because I was too awestruck to react. Perhaps, I thought, it would be more fruitful to post a link to the episode here, along with some of my thoughts, and invite people to comment with their own thoughts.

To begin with, I was impressed with both President Obama and Stewart in that they seemed to be carefully displaying a mutual respect for one another. I was also impressed with the fact that Stewart was fairly tenacious in pressing Obama on issues such as the flawed healthcare bill and his performance versus his campaign promises. I do wish that Obama had been a little more direct in his answer to Stewart's questions about infrastructural changes within government and I was extremely taken aback by the president's insistence that the healthcare bill is similar to social security and civil rights. However, I think he made a good point regarding people's expectations and reality when he pointed out that there are always people who wish that change would occur more swiftly. At the end of the day however, I walked away from the broadcast with a sense of several things. One of which was that I had witnessed a historical event. The second was that I was, and am, fairly certain that John Stewart is probably the most hard hitting journalist of our time. The third is that I am very excited for October 30th and the Rally To Restore Sanity.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment